Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Beef and Seven Vegetables

I know I know, you're thinking "who needs a recipe for stir fry?". If you're like me you usually just get a bunch of vegetables, some meat, and buy some Stir Fry Sauce. The nice thing about this recipe is that you get to make your own sauce, which will save you a couple bucks that you can use on buying something more healthy than processed, preservative filled sauce.

From Lion House Classics
Serves 8

1 T cooking oil
3 C sliced cooked roast beef, or 1 1/2 lbs fresh lean beef, cut into strips
2 1/2 C carrots, cut in thin slices
1 1/2 C sliced green pepper
1 1/2 C sliced onion
2 1/2 C slant-cut celery
1 can (about 4 oz) bamboo shoots, drained
4 C beef stock
1/2 -3/4 C soy sauce
3 T cornstarch in 1/4 C cold water
15 cherry tomatoes
1 C fresh or frozen snow peas, or broccoli florets
Cooked rice or Chinese noodles.

Heat oil in frying pan. Add beef and brown lightly; remove meat. Add carrots and green pepper to pan; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add onions and celery; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add bamboo shoots. Remove vegetables and keep warm. Vegetables should remain crisp.

In heavy pot, bring soup stock and soy sauce to a gentle boil; thicken with cornstarch-water mixture. Add tomatoes, snow peas or broccoli, stir-fried vegetables, and meat; heat gently. Serve over rice or Chinese noodles.

**Notes From Em**
I had a LOT of trouble getting the sauce to thicken with the amounts of corn starch listed in the recipe. I think it took more like 8 T total for me to get it as thick as I wanted. The only other thing that I'd change up on this recipe is the tomatoes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of tomatoes (ok, I'm learning to become a fan), but even my husband thought that the flavor wasn't quite right for this dish. I had some cashews and fresh pineapple handy that I threw in at the last minute as well for a little burst of flavor. Ultimately when it comes to stir-fry though, add the vegetables that you know you'll like, or at least that you think will hide well in the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails